POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clothray cloth simulation patch.. : Re: Clothray cloth simulation patch.. Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clothray cloth simulation patch..
From: Christophe Bouffartigue
Date: 20 Feb 2001 03:05:46
Message: <3A92255A.8DF771CE@nanterre.marelli.fr>
"Tony[B]" wrote:

> Chris, have you given any thought to contacting the other POVers who are
> working on cloth right now? It would be ideal if all of the implementations
> could be merged, preferably as you have implemented it, in-POV.

If you think about Jerome's Cloth Simulator, the 2 projects had the same
purpose: an IRTC image. But, our programming skills are different, and I
went the "easy (and lazy) way": patching an already existant code, and
reusing POV's intersection routines.

Another issue is that my patch is an extremely specialized patch, and I
don't think that this kind of thing has to be implemented in POV. Always
the same thing: POV is a renderer, not a modeller.

I think Jerome's implementation is much more versatile than mine, but he
has to rewrite a lot of code (and know a lot of math) to provide new
object collision detection.

What would be ideal is a POV cloth simulator (like Jerome's), with a POV
object (script langage) as input, and OpenGl Preview, wind description
as a pigment, cloth description "a la mesh2" (that would allow any shape
for the cloth, not only rectangular), contraints (hanging points, for
instance), .... and so many things, and finally a mesh file as output,
that can be used directly in POV...

> As the French say: A+ :)

:)

A+